Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
I'm surprised no one has started playing VC pong, you pea shooter ABV into cups of alcohol or warm milk, hot chocolate, you know what ever takes your fancy and gets it in your system quickest.

Hybrid blanks are rock hard, the wood is stabilised with a resin which is harder than the acrylics they use.
High speed steel dulls too quick and ends up futile as more time is spent sharpening than turning, carbide tips however cut much better and need little to no sharpening.

No idea how this is going to turn but I saw the blanks and thought why not, light as a feather.
20190207-111249.jpg

The age of this wood is still mind boggling, I struggle to imagine what it would have been like for these trees.
20190207-111310.jpg

Some other harder to get woods, for me, arrived as well.
20190207-091245.jpg

You know there's some serious shit to be done when the brown and blue wires come out:lol:
20190207-151730.jpg

All spoken for, I think. Most are headed out to my Spannabis partner in crime, a couple of Rasta ones and a couple more personal to the customers.

Finishing a round stem on a lathe as it's spinning makes light work of the job, on a flat surface it's a different matter.
Well worth it tho.
20190208-183811.jpg

I roughed this blank out some time ago, it's crushed and dyed stone set in a resin. It took forever and sat in the 'to do' pile.
Until today that is

14mm with black and silver accents
20190208-152800.jpg

It has the heft of stone so a drop in glass isn't recommended.

That lump of Cocobolo is the most expensive piece of wood I've bought. The people I bought it from have a stockpile and they have no intention of buying more.
Import/export restrictions are making it cost prohibitive to buy over here.

@Whisper it's been cut into blocks and I'm letting it settle down before I put some big holes in it. Thank you for your patience.
20190212-165138.jpg

Learnt a valuable lesson at the expense of a bruised finger end and a couple of destroyed blanks.
Toggle clamps on the way.
Not every attempt at laminating credit cards has been working either but there is a lot of them on this piece.
20190212-160209.jpg

Stems keep taking a step closer to being final assembled and turned.
20190212-163222.jpg

Tiny steps but non the less steps, tiny actually meant all sodding day and some.
20190214-134027.jpg

Had a glass maker send me some wood and we've had a discussion about display stands.
This started life as the leg on a piece of garden furniture and was a nice distraction from stems.

No glass marbles in the house so I used a ping pong ball to set the scene.
20190212-142413.jpg

The difference in the outside and inside of that block really brings home the way woods change colour with exposure to the elements.
I'll get a bit of video when I turn it so you can see what I mean.

@momofthegoons the guy also wants a lower profile one at just over half an inch tall.
Apparently some of the special marbles go for nearly $900 and lower profile on a table means less chance of knocking it on the floor.

Nice to try my hand at other things and all good for muscle memory for future ideas.

You can only just make out the black in this multi layer accent.

20190217-181752.jpg

Easy to change the colours with the pvc cards but they need a bit of extra care when cutting and sanding. They are soft so a wet sand keeps the surface temperature of them down. Playing with shapes with the round carbide tip.

The metal works done, final assembly and then it's head down for a busy week.
20190216-152957.jpg

Red, gold and green 14mm Blackwood piece, these accented stems are attracting a bit of attention .

IMG-20190224-204825-989.jpg

Took some work getting this left hand twist done. All the lines didn't help and filing all kack handed meant it was a challenge.
20190220-174250.jpg

Apricot wood that I bought a while ago, BW hot end and MP with black and ali accents.

IMG-20190226-200046.jpg

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back