Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
Where do I start, how about the Blackwood Twist.

While this stem looked great it was missing something after all the Abalone and accents that have been done.
The first idea was to use a Maple but two attempts, two failures and that got changed.
Looking thru the blanks I remembered I had a casein which would suit the BW nicely.
Casein is a milk protein and was used in paints by ancient Egyptians, is used in cheese making and in this case as a faux ivory.

First off the HE and MP had to be removed.

Then a couple of bits of the casein worked to take a thread and the Ti piece.
IMG-20190424-WA0001.jpg

And then a quick turn to shape and a file.

Final touch up at the MP is needed, just one bit which I didn't see until it was enlarged in the picture.
IMG-20190424-110308.jpg

Myrtle Burl Twist

IMG-20190422-191622-852.jpg

Imperio Blue Erinoid acrylic with 10mm taper MP

Purple and Orange acrylic with BW 10mm taper MP.
This is for the Sunday raffle at a little get together in the UK called Borofest Glass Festival, I was hoping to set up and do some turning over the weekend but other things are already planned.
Screenshot-20190424-204232.jpg

IMG-20190419-175037.jpg

Maple Burl, this was going to be a twist but the small void on the outside of the blank got bigger and deeper as it was turned.

The hole was begging to be filled up with some turquoise.

IMG-20190421-140025.jpg

I think I am narrowing down what I need for my Tera stem, you can be a proud owner there @momofthegoons they are quite beautiful (esp the black/ab):thumbsup:

Apologies for the overly long period of silence it's been an eventful time and all for the wrong reasons and it's going to continue for the next few weeks, admittedly with a couple days off for good behaviour.
Quick trip down to Southern Spain next week so Mrs. PP can get some R&R as 'You've already been to Spain this year'.
Doesn't matter how I phrase it there is no convincing her Spannabis was a work related trip.
Child free so I have an invite to the local social club.:thumbsup:

@LesPlenty I found that some plastics are not happy with an Iso soak. I have 2 plastic test tubes which I've used for cleaning tips and one crazed while the other seems fine, once I noticed the defects I did a read around.
So far my acrylic stem has shown no signs of any problems from a generally wipe around the MP end to remove any reclaim, I use an Iso dampened Q tip or paper towel. A full soak is not recommended.
I'm going nowhere so take your time, it's a very personal thing and we need to get it right.

Great pictures, thank you @momofthegoons. Seeing something I made in a different setting puts a smile on my face every time.
Yours and everyone else's continued support through all this means a lot to me.

@Moses Baca I'll keep the videos coming. They are good fun to make and as I've found out people enjoy seeing the process.

Anyways where were we....

Got a square done, Cream Coolibah and Macassar Ebony
IMG-20190425-151241.jpg

Casein, Bog Oak with accents put together with a slimmer condenser tube. This stem is 11mm at it's widest and just over 6mm at it's narrowest.
IMG-20190426-130047.jpg

Homage to the antique cigarette world again with the slimmer SS tube.
Casein and Blackwood.
IMG-20190503-102159.jpg

Group shot, this stuff has the look and feel of antique ivory. More blanks ordered.
IMG-20190503-170345.jpg

Blackwood with B/W acrylic 10mm tapered MP, it started out in an Ebony but the accents had different ideas. MP was too nice to waste.
IMG-20190430-130428.jpg

Being an 'at home toker' I never really needed any kind of pocketable storage.
A wedding last year brought it home, trouser pockets and hot VC's don't mix well.

The fatter cigar cases I turned are a bit bulky and awkward to fit a magnet to.
A smaller diameter one was looking to be fine and the magnet on the top of the cap meant the convenience of removing the cap was good.
You put the lid back on the tube and only have one thing in your hand.
Magnets however do their own thing and it's difficult to stop them. The small cap pullers I took to Spain were great but as with the lid on the case everything and anything with steel in it sticks to them.

Couplings arrived and a trial run was needed so the slimline Bog Oak stem got a new case, if I get time it'll get a matching case.
Gone is the one handed operation convenience as the lid needs to be removed but at least it's only the cap that sticks to the 10mm magnet.
IMG-20190512-180400.jpg

Cocobolo IH enclosure part way through its construction. This shows how much of a colour change there is between the top face and the sides. Oxidation and light cause this and nothing will stop it.
IMG-20190510-184432-907.jpg

IMG-20190510-184432-919.jpg

Anyone who would like something turning please feel free to get in touch and we can at least get the ball rolling.
All I ask is that you have a bit of patience and understanding.
I have a life outside of this and can have a lot of 'conversations' going on so 'pester' me.

New part designs are in at the machine shop just to add to the confusion of choice.

@Squiby and @momofthegoons I had a blank arrive today which is in keeping with the same period in time. I'm looking forward to getting the first trial piece done.

Bog Oak case, all brass on the case with Casein Ivory on the lid.
Silver accents on the stem to match the TiHE means Ti couplings are on the drawing board.
Added a black accent/washer to the lid, this helps to maintain a good seal, stops overtightening and looks better than the other options I've tried.
And it finishes the lid nicely.

Anyone who has a lidded stem please get in touch and I will send a couple of the accent/washers out. I'm making them from scratch so have a few colour options to play with.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back