Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
wanted to share something with you guys. ive always noticed an off flavor using the mp on the fury/fury 2 and i figured the flavor was comming from the silicone.

the silicone seal looks to me like its being cooked causing discoloration. that taste imo is the degredation of this seal that sits over the mp. its not resin. i have owned this unit for over a year. both the bottom silicone seals are ~6 months of use and the one pictured on top is brand new. just a heads up but i would avoid the stock mp and use either a bent glass stem or the glass wpa.

image.jpg

again just my observations. but heres the pic. only the area that takes direct heat is discolored. am i vaping silicone?

@Vitolo i know your handing these out to patients so im tagging you. @momofthegoons i hope this post is ok. i dont want to start something but i would want this brought to my attention. fierce, fury/fury2 sutra mini and grindhouse shift all use the same blue silicone gasket....

I would be worried about the dye more than silicone I think
No expert though
I have clear silicone tube and opaque though that is stained that kind of colour now after much use no matter how well I clean
The cover for the GH is now more that colour...
I'm thinking the resin has stained them
Don't know if it's same with F2 ones
Mine don't look like that yet but we're stained pretty quickly a little

@felvapes yeah im not an expert on these materials. just observations based on longevity. my guess is even if the unit was ran empty we would see these discolorations where the heat hits the seal. looks like the dyes have been cooked so many times the bare silicone is now exposed. i usually clean with iso and water solution (the whole seal) once a month or so and the only part that has suffered is where the oven hits it directly...

Yer if there is any issue I would be concerned more it's dye coming out rather than silicone burning off
Still not a good thought if so

Just checked mine
That same inner ring looks nothing like yours but it is faded in the same spot

i dont want to discourge! just inform. we all know silicone in the airpath is no bueno. supposedly these silicone gaskets are heat resistant and food grade but exposing it to such high temps over a long period of time seems to be changing the way it looks
image.jpg

i feel like if it was just resin there would be the same discolorations in the middle of the seal as well but it doesnt quite look the same

i feel like if it was just resin there would be the same discolorations in the middle of the seal as well but it doesnt quite look the same
I am inclined to agree.

The one thing we have going for us here is that Healthy Rips seems to be very concerned about product safety and they take pride in the fact that their vape is RoHS certified. If there is an issue with the gasket silicone, I am pretty sure they will address it. Since this issue is something that would only happen with usage over time it may not have shown up in their testing.

The taste was always there at start too
And my first WPA got stained and tasted bad till they replaced it
Wonder if it was stained by dye?
I remember you had issues in the beginning with a foul smell coming from your WPA as well...

It makes me wonder if there is an early batch of 'bad' silicone out there. My WPA has never had the issues you had. And I just checked my mouthpiece and my silicone is still looking just fine.

@elykpeace this brings up the question of how long have you had yours and how often do you use it? Is it a daily driver or a vape you only use occasionally?

I remember you had issues in the beginning with a foul smell coming from your WPA as well...

It makes me wonder if there is an early batch of 'bad' silicone out there. My WPA has never had the issues you had. And I just checked my mouthpiece and my silicone is still looking just fine.

@elykpeace this brings up the question of how long have you had yours and how often do you use it? Is it a daily driver or a vape you only use occasionally?
i have had this fury for a little over a year now. looking at my invoice it says oct 3rd 2017 was when i was sent the unit and it gets plenty of use (mostly my SO) but it is my "bring on trips" or outside vape. GH stays in doors. so its seen a ton of usage. the silicone gaskets were replaced about 6months of usage. i went to pop another in last night and noticed such a big difference. i know the silicone disk inside the mp that keeps the glass tube airtight is a clear color silicone. my initial conclusion was this disk that acts as a heat sync was giving me that silicone flavor. then i thought it was the silicone ring around the oven that seals it of from the body. as im typing this it occurs to me there is a lot of silicone used. idk deff wont be seeing much use and im sticking to the glass wpa from now on when i do.

My Fury 2 shows no signs of discoloration, but, I use glass mostly. I am curious about this, as well.
You do hear people complain of a plastic taste, so it is a valid complaint, although, I am not sensitive to it.
I hope they address our concerns.

I was thinking more about this last night.... and a thought came to me about how the Fury 2 is used. I always use the dosing capsules in mine. I know @Shredder uses them as well. Shredder do you have any of the discoloration that @elykpeace is experiencing? I believe you use your Fury 2 a lot don't you?

I'm just wondering if using the capsules helps negate the discoloration issue. I'm still working off the original seal on mine with no hint of discoloration. But... I ALWAYS use the capsules in it. I'm thinking that if the caps stop this from happening, it's not so much a heat issue as a staining issue. The heat would have to be the same with the caps... if not hotter with the metal touching the seal.

Just a theory...

I was thinking more about this last night.... and a thought came to me about how the Fury 2 is used. I always use the dosing capsules in mine. I know @Shredder uses them as well. Shredder do you have any of the discoloration that @elykpeace is experiencing? I believe you use your Fury 2 a lot don't you?

I'm just wondering if using the capsules helps negate the discoloration issue. I'm still working off the original seal on mine with no hint of discoloration. But... I ALWAYS use the capsules in it. I'm thinking that if the caps stop this from happening, it's not so much a heat issue as a staining issue. The heat would have to be the same with the caps... if not hotter with the metal touching the seal.

Just a theory...
Good thinking re heat would be the same
I don't have capsules so mine is without....
Mine don't look like @elykpeace but the same area is slightly different colour than originally faded blue maybe

Just a theory...

I'm still using the original seal as well. It still looks good. I use mine maybe 8-10 times per week, always use the capsules, and clean it when the screen looks sticky. Also I rarely vape over 380, usually at 370 or sometimes 360F. Maybe the temps are the key?

To me it looks like a whip after heavy use. Part probably due to heat, and stained by resin. Not resin you can scrape off more like cooked in resin, like whips get. Not that you can see it, but silicone is porous so it's not inconceivable its resin.

Bottom line, is it bad? Dangerous? I kinda doubt it, but IDK. It will be interesting how HR responds.

Edit, in a strange way it might be helpful. It may be sealing the silicone like a smoke does in a smoker.

Last edited:
used capsules for months when i just got them. also use max temp more often then not. start inhaling around 360 and finish off at max. never anything left in for periods of time when it wast used. im going to cut the worst one in half and see if the blue is a coating or its blue all the way through when i get home. i have an old mp ill try and clean up and see how the "silicone heat sync" looks after taking all that heat for so long.

hope everyones sunday has been great so far!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back